Saturday, March 25, 2006

Race Day!

Welcome to the life of Anne everyone. So race day finally arrived and I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a beautiful pink dress, hat, matching bag, and flower for my shirt. So I was dressed to the nines and ready to start surveying the first 100 people that I saw so I could get on with enjoying my day! I was finished my surveys after being there for 1 hour. The first one done. I saw people from school all dressed up and looking fine. Everyone there was hott. Al the guys were wearing shirtss and ties if not suit and all the ladies had hats or hair pieces and plenty of cocktail dresses. Anyways, I return the surveys to center field. My staff badge gets me out there. This is where only the poeple that paid lots and got a gree wrist band. Center field is so great because you sit in shaddy tents and get served food and drink for free all day. SO after my hour of surveying... I was free to sit and enjoy being served for the rest on the afternoon. I was introduced to another two younger girls who did surveys and they taught me how to place a bet. So for the big race, the Gold Cup race, I picked a hourse I liked and bet $1. (I know, last of the big spender) and my horse won!!!!! By a long shot!!! So I won $5. Sweet as. So there were still two races left after the big one and I decided it was ok to take a break and go to the toilets. Anyways, on my way out of the trailer thing where the toilets were, I was stopped by a hot aussie who's green shirt made his eyes stand out and capture my attention. He asked me if he could buy my hat. So I thought this was very odd and was quite confused. He's a boy. Boys don't wear hats. Anyways, I told him it wasn't my hat so I couldn't sell it to him. But then he heard that I had an accent and asked where I was from. So after I told him I was from Canada, he took me to the tent he was sitting in and introduced me to all his friends as "Anne the Canadian" (at least he didn't call me "Canadi-anne" like everyone at school). Anywasy, these people were very nice and I stayed to visit with them for a bit. There was a young married couple there and the girl (I forget her name) and I talked very easily and talked for a long time. So when the races were over I was invited to join them back in town for tea (supper). So since I didn't come to the races with anyone, I accepted. So there were 6 of us heading to the Star Hotel. This is a very popular pub to head to after races I guess. So when we got ther (taking the bus) it was already full. So we all headed down to the Thai place for supper. These people are all relatively new in town too. They've been here since January working on the freeway that's going to be bypassing Albury-Wodonga so the big trucks don't have to drive through the city. So Damion (the big funny guy who seriously had me laughing all night) is the safety manager, Lee (one of the engineers), and the married couple (engineer and human resources lady). So it was a great evening. After tea, Damion, Lee and I went to another place to go dancing. How fun was that? Damion ws again, hilarious!!! lol. Such the moves.... nothing like ballroom dancing... more like a comedy act. Anyways, a great night had by all and it was my first time out to experience the "night life" in Albury. There were loads of people walking all over Dean street and everyone is so friendly. It was a good experience. I'm glad I went. Not something I'll make a ritual or anything. Anyways, the races were great and there were such beautiful people all around. And all the better that I got all 100 survey's done in the first hour so I could enjoy it all!!

And now MArcey is here and it feels good. I like when she comes. It almost feels like I'm at home in a strange country. hmm... But she'll be off for some solo adventures soon, so I guess I won't see her again until my Easter break when we adventure to Tazzie and the east coast. Something to look forward too.

So I'm enjoying my fresh adventures and meeting new friends!! What a great place to live. Kinda like Cheers... you know, where everyone knows your name? Anyways, enjoy the spring and capri weather.

PS try not to miss me too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having lots of great adventures in Oz!! Aren't the people great? So are you completely in love with the country yet? I wish I could come and visit you. Keep having fun!