Friday, June 23, 2006

Sydney Adventure

Ok, now for the belated sydney adventure. Three assignments due on Friday... I worked like a crazy mad man and finished by Thursday around 5pm. Then a rush pack job and Anna dropped me off at campus to hand everything in on our way out. We drove north on the Hume highway until we reached her mother's houe for the evening. we spent the night there. Stunning. WOW! Her mother rents the house from a guy in Sydney. It is on a farm (but someone else rents and farms the land). The house is OLD and has the high ceilings and beautiful furnature, fireplaces in all the main rooms, wall paper, you get the picture. Basically my dream home. so after the tour I was served homemade punpkin soup! Picture dad's carrot soup (the same thickness and creaminess) but with pumpkin and not carrot and rice. VERY good, but also a bit spicy so I had to have a piece of homemade bread to ease the fire on my tounge. YUM! Slept in one of the many rooms and was surprisingly warm (winter here and no central heating).

Up for an early start to the Blue Mtns. We got there and drove down into the veiwing area. Where did the fog come from? Yikes! So we payed for our parking and walked thorugh the visitors centre and looked at what the veiw was supposed to look like. Then we attempted to see some thing, anything, off the veiwing area. nope. nadda. Just white. all white! It was actually kinda creepy becuase you had your eyes wide open and still all you could see was white. crazy. so we walked down the slippery and wet path to the base of the first of the Three Sisters. Anna didn't want to walk down the steep stiars... and truthfully, my knee wasn't feeling up to the task either. so I saw a vage outline and back to the car we went. We finished the drive into Sydney and stopped at the largest mall in the Southern Hemisphere on our way into central Sydney. Here I bought a pair of shoes. they have heels. oh my word. checked into a hotel (Anna's more of a five star girl... not a hostel type girl). and walked (in my new shoes) to Darling Harbour for supper! What a good veiw. And the food was only ok. But after supper we walked to the other side of the harbour for cheesecake and coffees. That was the good part!

Saturday, up early again for some Pitt St. shopping and Paddy's market. We walked over to "The Rocks" to see the rocks, lol, and to look thorugh some markets. walked back tothe hotel though sydney Harbour and stopped for coffees. We drove across the harbour bridge to meet Anna's sister for drinks at the Oaks before supper. Then we went to the trendy side of Kings Cross and ate an exquisite meal at The Victorian Room. Just walking down the street all you could see was a big bouncer tye guy standing infront of the door. Anna's sister just walked right up to him (not something I would do), and he opened the door for us. Up the staricase and into the most magnificent dinning area I have ever seen. Mohogany wood, forest green lamps, big chandeleirs, burgandy apolstery... wow. I could barley read the menue I was too enthrawled with the decor.

Sunday morning Anna and I went to Bondi beach to try to find some great market her sister was telling us about. I guess the weather was too bad, because we never did find it. So we went to the Elizabeth bay house and then Anna dropped me off at the government house. apparently she didn't want to see it too?? But here is where Trevor calls. And he wants to hang out but he and his mates are going to the pub for a very blokey night watching soccer... not a place where Anne fits in. so he wants to meet me now at the National Art Gallery across from the opera house. So I met up with Trevor and we went for coffee in the sweetest place in The Rocks. Then Trevor took me to the 36th floor of the Shangru-La hotel. There is a lounge up there and a seriously breath-taking veiw of the sydney harbour and beyond. We got up there just in time to see the sun set. WOW! the colours in the sky and the reflections in the water. So amazing. Then Trevor (our lawyer friend) says I can order anything on the menu and it will be his treat (as if the coffee wasn't already)... then he noticed the $3000 bottle of wine. He said I couldn't order that. Then he saw the $999 bottle of wine... also I wasn't allowed to order that... so anything with 3 numbers I wasn't allowed to order. lol. too funny. what a character. Still time before he meets his mates, so we drove across the harbour bridge and to a Thai place for supper. at the risk of sounding repetative, it was beautiful. great meal. great company. what a good Sydney night. He dropped me off when we were finished at the place Anna, her sister, and their dad were meeting for supper. Trev went to meet up with his mates and the rest of us went to the pub across the street.

Now Monday, brekkie with Anna's dad. He's a racecar driver. and he too all of us ladies out for a Greek brekkie. I had french toast, so I'm nt sure what was greek about that... Anna and I hit the Sydney aquarium up before our long drive home. So yeah, it's like sea world, finding nemo, and crocodile hunter all rolled into one. Very cool.

And that was my most fabulous weekend in Sydney!

No comments: